Monday, February 29, 2016

A Birthday Card in the making

Well hello, here it is February 29th.   Yep a leap year in 2016.   So in celebration of this every four year even I will post one more entry.   No giggling now about the extra post.   I don't know if they celebrate Leap Year but today we will celebrate it.   You do wonder about the birthdays on the 29th of February, do the people just celebrate on the 28th or just really really not ever age on these odd years.  I have always thought of that.    Our beautiful granddaughter's birthday is the 28th so she squeaked by on the month, getting to celebrate every year.

I wanted to make a different birthday card for her and I did make a 12 x 12 card of sorts.  Some of you when I put the teaser up of what I was going to do wanted me to show them how I made it.   So I thought ok I will show how the card is made and in my different way tell you how I did it.    Now I don't represent any company or am not a designer for anyone except myself, but I do use Golden and Daler Rowney products.     So lets go see what I did .

 First I gathered goodies I thought I might use.  I am a blessed lady let me tell you because a lot of these pretties were given to me.   Even to the point of the computer part on the right.   We were getting  my computer out of the hospital and they had a stack of these what evers.   You know me I asked what are these?   I cannot remember what they said but they game me several.  I had more treasures to add to my collection.   All right I am straying but back to the story here, I gathered some pretty goodies and I am not ever sure what I will use so I always gather to much.   Even to the point of scraps of paper and pieced of good ole plastic parts of snow flakes ( they are awesome by the way ). 


 
 
 
I set the goodies aside and then gathered my 12 x 12 canvas and used some Golden molding paste ( Grandson gave me a giant jar of the wonderful stuff ) and applied it with a stencil.  I did use a bubbly looking stencil, Granddaughter does live in Hawaii you know and there are "TINY BUBBLES" there.  Sorry just reminds me of the song  "TINY BUBBLES" .   


 
 
 
 
I chose a photograph of Granddaughter that someone has taken of her that I always loved.  The photograph help set the scene.   I started adding goodies to the canvas, layers and layers of the goodies went on the canvas.  I glued it down with Golden Gel Medium.  That stuff I do believe will stick an elephant down.  No really it has stick ability like crazy.   After everything dried I gave the whole kit and caboodle  a good healthy coat of Gesso.       



 
 
Guess I could have left it like that and it would have looked like a blizzard or something but nope kept on going.  I glued fish, and octopus, sea glass, the computer whatever at the bottom and just stuff.  Good stuff and was ready for the fun step.  Not that it all wasn't fun but adding the color is just like icing on the cake---yum.
 
 
I used some Golden paints watered down and then the Daler Rowney  Acrylic artist ink.   I didn't have any thin liquid anything to go on here so I just put some of the Artist ink in a little spray bottle and tadaa I had spray ink.  I just try to use what I have, but I still have a lot of things.   I am going to have to live to be 200 years old I do believe to use all of it.   LOL can you see me in my art room just creeping around with paint all over me saying I have to use all of this  "stuff" .   
 
 
After all was dried I then went back in and added a few diamonds and some pearls to glam it up some more.   It is an awesome photo isn't it?  I have always like it and thought she might like one of herself.   Orange and blue are opposites so it worked perfect.  I always try to use opposite or complementary colors. The colors just work better and sing to you when they are opposites or complementary.     
 
 
 
 
Here you go the Princess's birthday card.  
 
Thank you for stopping by and seeing what is going on in my world today.  
 
 
XOXO
Annette
 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thank you D I am glad you liked it. It is always so much fun to make these xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. You have a way of so beautifully expressing your love and joy when making gifts for loved ones. She is going to love and cherish your gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nancy, you have such beautiful words of saying atta girl. Love it.

      Delete
  3. What an awesome result. This is one of my favorite techniques and you nailed it...so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, it is such a fun technique isn't it? so proud of you for just being so awesome with your teaching of art

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you Marilou, it is fun and no rules. You know how I love the no rules. xo

      Delete
  5. It turned out just beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet, now onward and upward to see what else I can get into

      Delete
  6. Annette, this is gorgeous! Your creativity is so inspiring. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Renee so glad I could inspire you. I hope granddaughter likes it. xo

      Delete
  7. This is just amazingly gorgeous...well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deann, I love your pretties you make and enjoy going to your blog

      Delete
  8. such a lucky girl to receive such treasures! Annette, you put them all together splendidly!
    Your granddaughter is sure to love this card!(regardless of the size) heehee and i do love that pose!
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jackie it is 12 x12 canvas, a large card : ) guess Texas size these are so fun to make

      Delete
  9. Total fabulosity , and the photo is so stunning too, I'm sure she will be beyond thrilled !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane, I have loved that photo, not sure who took it but is beautiful for sure. oxxo

      Delete

Thank you for browsing on my blog and taking the time to post. You know how we love the comments they mean a lot to me Hugs to all and thanks for being here. xo. I am sorry for right now I am having to monitor the comments, seems like a spammer has visited here. have a good day.