Monday, July 8, 2013

Dia de Muertos

OK,  I bet you are thinking what in the sam hill is Annette typing in now?  The English version of this is the Day of the Dead.   I have seen whole shops of this art in Santa Fe and other places.  I mean whole shops.  So I thought to myself,  Annette check this out.  It could be fun and it is certainly colorful.  Now you know I am not afraid of color. 

I checked it out in Wikipedia and a little part of it said :

Day of the Dead (Spanish: Día de Muertos) is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico and around the world in other cultures. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It is particularly celebrated in Mexico, where it is a national holiday, and all banks are closed. The celebration takes place on November 1 and 2, in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day. Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts. They also leave possessions of the deceased.
Scholars trace the origins of the modern Mexican holiday to indigenous observances dating back hundreds of years and to an Aztec festival dedicated to the goddess Mictecacihuatl. The holiday has spread throughout the world: In Brazil, Dia de Finados is a public holiday that many Brazilians celebrate by visiting cemeteries and churches. In Spain, there are festivals and parades, and, at the end of the day, people gather at cemeteries and pray for their dead loved ones. Similar observances occur elsewhere in Europe, and similarly themed celebrations appear in many Asian and African cultures.

Now I think that is pretty interesting. 

So I got my needle and beads -of course beads and played with two types of fabric I found.  The sales lady told me it was a holiday celebrated in May.  I didn't argue but politely said it was a colorful one.  I then added some black lace, pretty blue silky type fabric and then put some pink sheer over part of the blue and this is the fabric I started with.  Then the fun began with the stitches, not fancy ones but stitches.  Added beads and little things on it also.  I didn't do my silk ribbon flowers on this one though, didn't think it called for it. 

Soooooooooo this is what I made.  It certainly surprised the lady I made it for. She has lots of it and loved it and couldn't wait to show her Mother.   We ran upon her at the Art Festival they had here at a booth with some of this art in it.  Nothing like this with all the beads but I have to have bling. 

 
Told ya it was colorful.   Two of my friends-Geraldine and Janet said they use to make these.  See it could be a Crazy Quilt piece.  Beads, stitches and several pieces of fabric stitched together.    Just had to share and was so fun to make.   Now off to work on more Faeries.  
 
Thanks for stopping by and seeing what is going on in my world today
 
XOOXOX
Annette

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, it was a lot of fun just to play with this piece. Now back to my doings : )

      Delete
  2. Hi Annette, thanks for your lovely comments on my blog. I don't seem to be doing much at the moment. It's so hot here. I have to say you are correct in saying in Spain we celebrate The Day Of The dead. Much more sedately and not so colourfully as in Mexico. You go to morning Mass then onto the cemetery. By then all the niches are beautifully presented with wonderful floral displays. No skulls or anything like that here. All the families get to together it seems a very joyous occasion. I love your piece of Mexican art it's marvelous. Keep in touch..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Annette, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog. Your Day Of The Dead artwork is absolutely wonderful. I love it!!!!!!!!! You are right in saying we celebrate this day in Spain November 1st. The families all get together go to morning Mass then onto the cemetery. The niches have already been adorned with wonderful floral displays. It is quite a happy day people remembering their dead. Perhaps a little strange for some people to take on board. But every culture has it's own ways. Thanks for keeping in touch..........

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for browsing on my blog and taking the time to post. You know how we love the comments they mean a lot to me Hugs to all and thanks for being here. xo. I am sorry for right now I am having to monitor the comments, seems like a spammer has visited here. have a good day.