Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The 19th Amendment from Annette's eyes

August 26th 1920, the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States constitution became a law and women could vote in the fall election, including the Presidential election.  What a wonderful time this was for ladies to be able to be heard.

This beautiful image is from Dover Publications.   I thought it was perfect for women's right to vote, they have so many to choose from and are so generous with free samples and have lots of books to select and add to your bookshelves. 


Now I certainly remember the first time I voted.  I had turned 21 that year and  knew that I can  now vote.  I just bounced up to the voting place like I knew what was going on.  I don't even remember where we were then, I know in Texas though.   I had absolutely no identification with me at all, I thought you go, you vote that is it.  I had my $2 in hand and that was all I needed.  Yes, we had to pay to vote then.  After lengthy discussions with several people and  they understanding that I was a citizen even though I was not born in the United States and my father was in the United States Army,  a wonderful Judge came in and I remember him so clearly.  He said if she wants to vote take her $2 and let her vote.  I have voted ever since.   Now sometimes Eldon and I cancel each other's vote out but we vote.  Most of the time we do agree on issues and candidates.


The sticker we got when we voted.


We went to absentee voting last Tuesday and was going to comment on it then, but our lightening event got to be first.  It took us a few years to figure out absentee voting was one of the best things in the world and then if you do happen to be going some where-- you have voted.  Voting now days is certainly different that voting when I was 21.  You go thru a short line, they check your ID and where you live and give you a little sheet of paper with your number on it,   BUT------ you get a sticker that says I Voted.  I was very proud of that.   No pencil and paper here, nope, you have the machines  with sort of hoods on them and lots of  electronic pages to look at and can just punch a button and TA DA you a finished. The little sheet of paper is your code number so you may type it in and shows you are the real thing.  After reading and punching buttons  You have voted.   You know you have voted because at the end a wonderful American Flag waves on the screen.  


When I got home I was reminded of a waving flag I have on my refrigerator- it is a button that was made after 9/11.  I will always keep this on the refrigerator.  Just reminds me of how lucky we are to live in our country.  How united we are and a land of freedom.  Also reminds me how everyone stuck together after this tragic assault on our country.




There you go, thanks for stopping by and seeing what is going on in my world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for browsing on my blog and taking the time to post. You know how we love the comments they mean a lot to me Hugs to all and thanks for being here. xo. I am sorry for right now I am having to monitor the comments, seems like a spammer has visited here. have a good day.